Even as we stay home, it is possible to stay connected with the Earth, by way of our body. If we look closely inside ourselves, we will know that our body is not separate from the Earth, and instead is a part of it. In a way, we are this Earth, and this Earth is us.
Please join me in a short and simple practice of grounding to the Earth. It is best to do this barefoot.
1. Adopt a stable standing posture, with your feet hip-distance apart. Keep your posture upright and wakeful, and allow the shoulders to relax.
2. Become aware of the space around the body, and get a sense of the entire body breathing in and out.
3. Rest your attention at the top of the head, then bring your attention down gently through the length of the body, and all the way down to the bottoms of the feet.
4. Notice the soles of the feet in contact with the floor. Pay attention to the toes; the ball, arch and heel of each foot; the texture and temperature of the floor; the weight of the body resting on the feet, and the feet resting on the ground.
5. After a few moments, take a deep breath in, and exhale.